Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I can figure out the point of anything, just not as quick as I can mess up my life;

Ha, so much for blogging everyday. Who did I think I was kidding?

With that said, I can honestly say I had one of the lamest 21st birthdays ever. I was surrounded by (most of) the people I care most about, but I still found myself countind down the minutes until it was over. For one, I hate being the center of attention. It's part of (if not the entire) reason why I'm apprehensive about majoring in theatre arts; it means taking up an acting course and having people focus on me. For two, I worked the early shift at work that day and had been up since 5 that morning. I was dying to just crawl into bed and snooze. And for three, I found myself, in that moment, highly irritated with the majority of those people. I got one birthday card (not including the ones I got from my union rep for work or the one from the corporate office). I know money was tight around their birthdays and I only got them cheap gift cards, but I still got them something. These people just showed up, complained about the restaurant I chose and then whined about the service and food. I saw how utterly unappreciative they were, and it really made me see that I have nothing in common with these people anymore. I was disappointed, to say the least. I demand a refund for my 21st birthday.

In other news, the semester is almost over! I didn't realize until yesterday just how much work I still have to do for my theatre class. I have the major project (consisting of 2 pages on how I would direct the production Bus Stop by William Inge, one costume plot, and three drawings of costumes for my half of the characters), 3 papers on the 3 plays I've seen (so far I've only seen one. I have to make it to one show this weekend and hope that I can find a last minute play to see for the third), the final to study for, the two extra credit take home quizzes, and I have all of this completed and turned in by the 16th. I'm in a panic. Humanities I have one more paper and the final, and then I am done (with the exception of retyping and returning in the first paper we did on Sappho's poetry because I misunderstood how to cite it). All we have to do in art for the next week is a self portrait that we started today (and I am hating it already). And then film we have this ridiculous written exam Monday about a clip of one of the films for homework we should have seen by now, and applying it to what we've learned this semester from lecture and the textbook. That following Monday is our final, which also happens to be multiple choice. Let the mad race for prepping for finals begin!

Yesterday was my own personal inferno. Dante had to endure all the souls of "greatness" and their personal suffering to learn how to save his own soul from sin. I had to endure 2 hours in a dentist chair, numbed beyond belief, and just gripping the chair arm while I let the sound of the drill drown out the awful melodies and tunes of Christmas and Yuletide cheer. Gag me (pun not intended). I no sooner got home before the numbness died down and I could feel pain. The worst pain I've ever encountered after a dentist appointment. I was shocked (and a huge blubbering baby to boot). I was fine after 800 mg's of ibprofin, and I woke up this morning still sore but not in a huge amount of pain. Thankfully. I go back on the 16th to get the actual crown put on. -CRINGE-

Lastly, I figured out a schedule for next semester. It took a while to figure out and try not to complicate it with work, but I managed to get something I can (almost) live with. Mondays/Wednesdays I'll have French 402 from 9:45 to 11:50 in the morning. Tuesdays/Thursdays will be a bit more packed. I'll have Intro to Shakespeare from 9 to 10:30 A.M.; Study of World Religions from 10:30 to 11:50; EngWr 301 from 1 to 2:20; and Modern Humanities from 2:30 to 3:50. It'll be a long semester, and I won't be taking nearly as many naps as I managed to smuggle in this semester. Pity, I'm going to miss them.

And so now I will stop my whining about lame friends who kill birthday buzzes and insane end of the semester procrastination and dentists who remind me of Steve Martin's character in Little Shop of Horrors and mad scheduling for next semester and try to choke down some food.

No comments: